Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Perfect Christmas

For a few weeks, I have had the pleasure of saying that I am all done Christmas shopping. Before you turn green with envy, the reason I am done shopping is because the budget says I am done. I could continue to buy good deals forever, but the money tree set aside for Christmas presents has dropped its last leaf.

As I got the kids' presents out to start wrapping the other night, I said a prayer. I prayed that the pile in front of me wouldn't seem too small. It is hard to be the mom at Christmas, as much of the responsibility of a "good"  Christmas is up to us.  I tend to worry what if my kids aren't happy with their gifts. What if it isn't enough? What if I missed that one thing they were really hoping for? Ah, the pressure we put on ourselves. I spend the whole Christmas season trying to explain to my kids that it isn't about the presents, it's about Jesus, then I freak out over how many presents I was able to buy.

Can I encourage you one mom to another to just let it go? When I prayed before wrapping presents, the peace of God that really does defy logic and reason surrounded my heart. I was able to be excited for what my kids would receive and remember the gift of Jesus that the season is really about.

I imagine that God wasn't fretting over the gift He has given us, worrying that we wouldn't like it or want more. He knew that Jesus would be enough for us. This Christmas, I will concentrate on teaching my kids about the value of giving over receiving and leading them deeper in their understanding of what Jesus' birth means for us. I will try to treasure the moments of extra family time, knowing how fleeting time really is. I will try not to get undone by the pressures of making a "perfect" holiday, hung up on details that no one cares about but me.  I will look for the wonder that each new day holds, each day a gift in itself of unending possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment, thought, or suggestion!