Monday, December 6, 2010

Ringing the Bells

This weekend, we started a new tradition. I hope...I mean, it's not really a tradition until you do it more than once, right? Hopefully it's one you will want to continue with also.

For a group service project, Mom Time rang bells for the Salvation Army kettle at Brookfield Square. This was a first for our family. I know we had some Mom Timers do it for the first time also, as well as some brave veterans who took Boy Scout troops with them. I admitted to being a little nervous about how my kids would behave, because nothing says warm and fuzzy like two boys wrestling on the ground in front of the red kettle. My seven year old closet atheist balked at wearing his shirt that says "Joy to the world, the Lord has come", but in the end it was that shirt that made the difference as people commented to him on it. We talked about doing nice things for other people that are in our power to do so, as some people put in a dollar and others put in a quarter. Everyone should give as they are able to do, and it was a great object lesson for the kiddoes. We read the Angel Tree cards and I think we all realized that real people's lives were being impacted by what we were doing.
If you rang the bells, and want to share how it went for you, leave a comment. If you took pictures, email me at dgiese85@gmail.com and I will put them on the blog. Thanks for taking the time to touch our community with the light of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment, thought, or suggestion!