Monday, November 22, 2010

The Countdown Begins...

Ok, gals, we are three full days away from the biggest food fest of the year...at least at my house. This morning I took the turkey out of the freezer to start thawing in the fridge. There are years I had to float him in the bathtub all night Wednesday, but this won't be one of them. I'm making a sweep of my cupboards and checking for missing ingredients. So far I've discovered that I have three bottles of pumpkin pie spice but no poultry seasoning or sage. The can of whipped cream I bought last week has somehow gotten used up already...

I have started making lists of what can be done ahead of time. For me, Tuesday is the day to get the house cleaned up, including making sure the serving plates I'll use are ready to go. Sometimes that means trying to remember where I put them last year. Wednesday is the big day of food prep. I get all the veggies chopped, desserts made, and ingredients that I will need first thing Thursday morning set out on the counter before bed on Wednesday. That way I can jump right in after that first cup of coffee.

I think my favorite part of the holiday is all the wonderful smells. I am a bread stuffing girl, with celery, onions, apples, raisins, sausage, and lots of sage. There is nothing like the aroma of everything sauteeing together in the big dutch oven. My biggest challenge every year is the gravy. It seems to have a mind of its own. Even using the same ingredients year after year is no guarantee that it will turn out. If that is your challenge, check out this article for some tips.

The turkey is definitely the centerpiece attraction. Remember the butterball hotline? It is still up and running, but in this computer age, help is just a mouseclick away. Here's the official butterball site if you are cooking for the first year or just have some questions. They also have some great recipes there.

Still wondering what to cook, or just need something new? I love Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade because you don't need a million ingredients that you may only use once this year. Her Thanksgiving episode had lots of yummy ideas!

What is your favorite dessert? I already know I can't choose just one. Pumpkin pie of course, but then there is my semi-famous pumpkin cake roll, apple pie, and the sort of healthy raspberry jello cranberry salad. I think I love Thanksgiving because the menu really doesn't change for us. It's all about tradition, that familiar feeling that lets you know you are home.

I hope you all have a wonderful day, and don't get bogged down in the details of making it perfect. Enjoy your family and these precious years. It won't be too long until you are fighting your daughter (or daughter-in-law!) for the right to cook Thanksgiving at your house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment, thought, or suggestion!