Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Top Ten Ways to Keep Your Kids Happy...

So, if you are anything like me, the thought of bringing your kids to someone else's house for a holiday gives you hives. Ok, maybe that is a little strong, but you just never know how it is going to go. Tonight we are going to grandma's house for dinner, and I have already started thinking about how to keep the kids entertained. Here's what I've come up with...please leave a comment and let me know what has worked for you!
1. Plan for the fact that dinner may not be ready right away and bring a few healthy snacks to tide them over. Cranky kids are often hungry kids.
2. Pack a notebook, pencils, and crayons. Have them interview the other guests. If they can't write, they can draw pictures of everyone who is there.
3. Let them choose a few books to bring over.
4. War, with a deck of cards, is a great way to pass the time. It also gives them 52 things to pick up when the throwing begins. Card houses are fun too.
5. Prepare them in advance for anything that might be a stressor for them. My son was desperately afraid of dogs when he was younger, so we would start coaching him ahead of time when his furry cousin was going to be part of the gathering. Give him some coping strategies.
6. Talk with the hostess ahead of time and see if there are special jobs your kids can be in charge of, such as gathering coats, stacking presents, or collecting recyclables.
7. Bring bubbles...it is almost never too cold to go outside for a few minutes.
8. If this is an extended visit, have a place to unwind when your child is just getting overstimulated. At my mom's house, this is the enclosed front porch.
9. Bring activities related to the holiday for your child to work on. http://www.familyfun.go.com/ has tons of resources...I'll be printing out some Thanksgiving activies myself.
10. Remember that it is their "big deal" too. They are excited and probably not trying to be annoying. No one is as bothered (usually!) by your kids acting up as you are. I will be repeating this to myself all night tonight!

I did not list anything to do with handheld electronic things, not because I am against them, but because we don't have any. If you bring a Nintendo DS, bring a bunch of batteries!

So, what works for you? What are you tried and true methods of keeping the kids entertained? I would love to know. Seriously. I could use some coping strategies myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment, thought, or suggestion!